Waterway: to spread the Gospel
During mid-May, Revd Paul Davis will be making a linear pilgrimage through the Lancashire Methodist District as he walks stretches of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Last year was the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Leeds and Liverpool canal in its full length of 127 miles and it runs through many of our townships in the Lancashire District.
Paul intends to visit the Methodist churches and schools closest to the canal and, at each one, meet members of the church or school, hear their story and spend some time in prayer. His aim is to commence in the south of the District at Adlington and then follow the line of the canal during consecutive days to Barnoldswick in the east of the District.
A summary of his proposed itinerary is as follows:
- Friday, 12th May— Distance approximately 11 miles
- 0945 Adlington Methodist URC
1145 Chorley Methodist Church (Lunch)
1415 Brinscall School
1530 Hillside Methodist Church
- Saturday, 13th May— Distance approximately 7 miles
- 1030 Withnell Fold Methodist Church
1145 Feniscowles Methodist Church (lunch)
1345 St Paul’s Methodist Church
- Sunday, 14th May— Distance approximately 6 miles
- 1100 Arthur Wilson Centre, Clayton (Rev Paul Davis to lead morning worship.*
1245 Rishton Methodist Church (lunch)
1430 West End Methodist Church
1545 Antley Methodist Church
- Monday, 15th May— Distance approximately 8 miles
- 0930 Hapton Methodist Church
1000 Hapton Methodist/CE School
1115 Greenbrook Methodist Church
1230 Padiham Road Methodist Church (Lunch)
1345 Wellfield Methodist/CE Primary
1515 Burnley Central Methodist Church
- Tuesday, 16th May— Distance approximately 8 miles
- 1030 Thompson Park Burnley **
1145 Brierfield Methodist Church (Lunch)
1330 Christ Church Nelson
1530 St John’s Colne
- Wednesday, 17th May— Distance approximately 6 miles
- 1030 Higherford Methodist Church (Lunch Foulridge)
1415 St Andrew’s Baptist / Methodist
Anyone is welcome to join Paul in walking either the whole or part of the route, or even part of the day. The above timings are also approximate and may be changed subject to weather conditions or unavoidable circumstances.
Suggestions for travel arrangements for fellow travellers
For those people intending to complete the full walk, it may be helpful to share lifts, such that vehicles are left at either end of the linear walk in order to return to the start!
For those people choosing to use public transport then the following may be useful. Please check times nearer to the start date to confirm timings.
- Brinscall to Adlington by bus
- Brinscall School Lane dep: Bus 24 15:35 16:40
- Chorley Bus Station arr: 15:55 17:00
- Chorley Bus Station dep: Bus 125 16:06 17:06
- Adlington arr: 16:17 17:17
- Blackburn to Withnell Fold by bus
- Blackburn dep: Bus 24 (Stand A) 16:06 17:06
- Blackburn Road Higher Wheelton 16:39 17:39
- Walk from Higher Wheelton to Withnell Fold approximately 20 minutes.
- Accrington to Clayton-le-Moors by bus
- Church (opposite Alleytroyds) dep Bus 7 15:41 17:06
- Sparth House Clayton-le-Moors 16:00 17:36
- Burnley to Hapton by bus
- Burnley Bus Station (Stand 4) dep Bus M3 16:40 17:10
- Hapton arrive 17:09 17:39
- Burnley to Hapton by train
- Burnley Central dep 17:20
- Hapton arr. 17:45
- Colne to Burnley by bus
- Bus stop outside St John’s Church dep. Bus M1 1608 (X43) 16:25
- Burnley (Thompson Park gates) 16:50 16:50
- Barnoldswick to Higherford by bus
- Barnoldswick dep. Bus M1 16:09 17:01
- Nelson arr. 16:55 17:12
- Nelson dep. Bus 2 1701 17:36
- Higherford Methodist Church arr. 17:11 17:47
* Directions to the Arthur Wilson Centre Clayton-le-Moors
Address: Pickup Street, Clayton Le Moors, Accrington, Lancashire BB5 5NS
Rev Paul Davis will be preaching here on Sunday, 14th May. It is the new home of the worshipping community of Methodists in Clayton.
Leave the M65 at Junction 7. Follow signs for Whalley and Clitheroe onto A6185. After approximately 100yards from motorway, keep in right hand lane to turn right at traffic lights on A678 After half a mile, turn left at traffic lights at “Hare and Hounds” onto A680. Cross the canal bridge shortly after these lights and take the 3rd left onto Pickup Street. The Arthur Wilson Centre is on the left hand side immediately opposite the library.
** Directions to start point on Tuesday, 16th May
From the M65:
Drop down the hill into Burnley along Westway. Keep in the right hand lane. Go along Trafalgar St to the roundabout with the A682 Take the second exit and follow the A682 down the hill to a second roundabout. Take the third exit and go under the canal bridge on Yorkshire Street. At the crossroads by Turf Moor football ground, turn left into Belvedere Road. Follow Belvedere Road (A6114) to eventually pass the “Brewers Fayre Queen Victoria and Premier Inn on your left. The large car park is approximately 100 yards further on, on your left.
For those of you with Satellite Navigation Systems, the postcode for the Brewers Fayre is: BB10 3EF.
Steve Colling t: 01254 883200; m: 07989 014997 or 07958 036736; e: email@example.com